Sunday, September 9, 2012

Chapter 2: The Cloister


The Cloister pages 26-32. 

 

This part of the chapter begins with descriptions of fasting and Lent performed by Martin Luther. Martin Luther said he enjoyed Lent even more than Easter because of his vigils and prayers to make up for his sins. The historians of Martin Luther believe because he liked Lent so much, he must have sinned greatly.
I personally think it’s really interesting to think that Martin Luther, a figure that everyone knows and looks up to for making his mark on history, could have been a big sinner. I don’t think of my priest as sinning a lot, only every now and then. I mean, shouldn’t they be close to perfect? They’re our role models to not sin. So if they sin all the time, what are we to do? Just go to confession? Confession does cleanse our souls, but it’s not meant to be an excuse for us to sin all we want to. So if these are the rules that govern us, what are the rules that govern our priests? What are the rules that governed Martin Luther? What made him think that just by fasting for “three days without a crumb” he can wipe away all his sin? “Sins must be accounted for one by one.” So when did he account for all his sins? One every day, hour, minute?
I also find it interesting to think of someone basically torturing themselves. When’s the last time any of us even went one whole day without eating anything? When is the last time during winter any of us slept without a blanket or heating of some sort? Also, when is the last time any of us had the pride to say “I have done nothing wrong today”? Just today I went to go see a movie at the Palladium, and one of the guys on the golf cart gave me a ride from my car to the front. It was the first time this ever happened to me, and I was taken a bit aback, so much so that I didn’t even think if a tip was expected. I didn’t even think about it until it was too late, and it’s 11 pm, a few hours after the incident, and I still feel sorry. I know it may seem silly, it’s not like he carried my bags or helped me up and out of the cart, but he did give me a ride. Maybe he works off of tips and I stiffed him. I don’t know. So, I know I sure can’t say “I have done nothing wrong today.” Even if it’s not something physical, if it’s mental, it’s still wrong. We’ve all had those moments where we’ve thought mean and ill things about someone else. Most of the time, I’ll try to stop myself from thinking these thoughts, but when they emerge, I try to think of something else pleasant, often times about the person in question. Luther said, “I kept the rule of my order so strictly that I may say that if ever a monk got to heaven by his monkery it was I.” If we all tried a little harder every day to stick closely to our “rules of order” we can prevent squabbles, fights, and even wars.
 We should use other’s previous thoughts and actions to help guide the way. I know this may not seem like an analysis of history, but to me what we think about ourselves and our actions today will become history tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment